Ironmugen and the chamber of lolis

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The forum is back. I will update it with more sections. Yay. Ironmugen is back? or is he?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25  All

Author Topic: Random Games topic  (Read 52750 times)

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ
Re: Random Games topic
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 08:23:25 AM »

Yeah, the joke ones are out (Zeus Geese, Devil Geese, Karman Geese and I think Lupin Geese, Jason Vorhees Duke, etc)

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »

Is it because it's a PS2 70004 and a PS2 90000 that they have a different face, or is it because it's a European PS2 and a Japanese PS2 ? 'Cuz I wasn't fond of the 70004 -though the buttons on the 90000 are slightly smaller / tighter to push.
Yeah, I sorta got my hands on one - we'll say it fell from a truck. Brand new, too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:53:16 PM by CCI Le Byakko »
...But my obsession with Type-Moon cured me of being a Narutard, so it's okay.

CCI Edward

• VIP
  • Giga Brother
  • 『 . . . . . . 』
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »

There's going to be an expansion for Magical Battle Arena and some of the new characters are... well see it for yourselves:
http://blog.seiha.org/2008/11/assorted-doujin-news-and-bmw-act-4-translation-update/

Woah, version 1.05+ patch. I'm really outdated, I hope I don't need to get the other patches as well.
http://fly-system.net/product/mba/index.htm

WOW... just WOW at the BMW OST cover. av15

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 02:14:09 AM »

Bleh, horrible.
More Nanoha characters and they don't even pick the best.
No Amelia either.

CCI Sion

• i am the one that is
  • Chô Aniki
  • Super Big Brother
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 02:09:18 AM »

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »

PS3 curiosity : so, on the latest news, which PS3 is compatible PS2 ? Last time I checked, the one with 40GB drive was, the 60 wasn't, and the 80 was supposed to be, or something ? Might be mixing them up.
Sometime next year (until next Christmas) I was thinking I could try picking up a Japanese PS3... Or not.

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ

Vans

• VIP
  • Brother
  • Walrus Force Leader
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 05:53:15 AM »

80 GB has the PS2 compatibility. Try to get a Metal Gear Solid pack if you can.

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

I could give a quick test to DBZ Infinite Worlds today on PS2. Controls seem a bit stiff and slow to respond at first, even a little annoying for the first run in story mode in easy difficulty, but the tutorials and the mini-games are really well done and varied with explicit explanations, and the controls are well placed (if you can edit them) and simplified - one trigger for blow-away attacks, one trigger for pursuit attacks, one trigger for energy burst mode... No need for anything hi-def and amazing graphics to make interesting/amusing games. Now if Future Gohan were in, I'd switch Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for it...
Oh, and the CPU is a dirty cheater even in "very easy" difficulty >:(

On the PS3 : I probably won't buy one right now anyway. Unless I can sell enough of my other games and DVDs to make the price go closer to 200€, but still. Apparently the backward compatibility is still not very clear, the software emulation the later models use can run some games but not all, and there doesn't seem to be a secure way to check which game can run right >_< it's just confusing.
edit - with selling my NDS and around 17 games, I can round up over 250€. Enough for my price limit. Still... Maybe later.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:09:43 PM by CCI Le Byakko »

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »

Ditto, it isn't my priority at the moment (I don't even have an HD TV..you know, to fully enjoy the next-gen graphics)

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 05:33:21 AM »

Copy-paste because I can and to act as if the forum wasn't dead.

Dissidia Final Fantasy.

Warrior of Light... Is about medium in everything, well balanced, not bad rushing attacks, distance attack with a wave of light (easy when you trap the opponent in a corridor)... Nothing too extraordinary, though, and basically close~mid range. EX Burst shows direction keys one by one as you input them.
Firion/Frionel is an Archer-style, uses the bow a lot, his two main HP attacks (for a long while before leveling up enough) are only done with it. Good at what he does ; though the axe move (he throws it, it comes back and can pull the opponent at you) is pretty weird for him considering you should rather try to stay away ; the knife is also odd, too short range (he throws it on the ground attached with some energy string which he pulls back afterward), but it can combo ; at close range, the best is definitely the comboable spear swings which he gains by leveling up a little. Basically, you just keep the spear for the rare times you'll get too close, and then stick to spamming the bow and stay away. Cool EX burst, easy enough (list of inputs to perform, entire list displayed from the beginning).
Cecil is a Lancer-type. You start off in Dark Knight form, he's pretty slow to walk ; perform an HP attack while in the air and he turns into Paladin form, he becomes pretty quick (you turn back into Dark Knight when performing an HP attack on the ground). Oddly enough, his Brave attack in Dark Knight mode in the air (Gravity Ball) can be easily reflected... And hit you. And it's slow to begin with. Weird move. That aside, he has good rushing attacks (Paladin form can air combo for a long time and can maul the opponent badly when trapping him in a corner). Pretty good overall ; only trouble is his air HP attack in Paladin form, it has a fairly good range but if you're just a little too far, he's going to rise up above the opponent's head too easily and completely miss him. His EX Burst is probably the touchiest out of those I've tested : you have to press one direction and one button at the (exact) same time, three times, according to what the screen tells you to do. Easy to screw up half of it.
Cloud is strong at close range and can hold at mid-range, good enough at moving around - not particularly slow ; his Brave attacks are probably the most accessible at close/mid range - he just swings his sword forward for a combo, with a more than decent startup speed. Things get dangerous for him if the opponent is just faster and keeps him at bay. He's good if you can avoid that. I didn't try many of his moves (first char I tried, didn't gain a lot of them) but it seems they can be varied enough (all his Limit Breaks). EX burst is the easiest, just mash the circle button. Fortunately, in his Another costume (from AC) they get rid of the hideous Ultima sword and replace it for the completed First Tsurugi (non-EX mode is its base sword without the other blades)
Haven't played with Tidus yet but he seems to be able to dive repeatedly at his opponent for a series of attack pretty easily. Can be really pesky to fight against.
Tina seems to move quite fast and relies on magic. Haven't used her yet, either. Didn't try Onion Knight either, but he's also very quick and agile, and does short-ranged but fast combos.

Despite all of them being considered as sword-users, they actually are quite different. Frionel is totally an Archer (and he uses mosts of his weapons here and there too, fit the versatility check for an Archer-class Servant), Cecil a Lancer, Warrior of Light a Saber, Cloud a Berserker...

Sephiroth... is FUCKING INSANE. Not only his attacks have huge range, he even pays himself the luxury of doing very fast dashes just before attacking ; his attacks rack up a lot of hits, and his Brave counter skyrockets way too easily, which means that as soon as he does one HP attack, he's going to devour somewhere between 1500 and 3200 of your HP in one shot just like that (went all the way to 7100+ once when I have barely 2100, he never had to use Supernova even once when he owned my Cecil so many times in a row I was actually scared shitless). His Black Materia attack takes a few seconds of him being open, but it summons the meteor right above your head and has a large area of effect. His Yatou Issen, flash attack, and multiple waves of energy blades attacks have the aformentionned insane range, he can somehow chain into pushing you into break state and immediately after, do an HP attack. His Prison Gate (can't read the kanjis fast enough -too busy running for my life- but I think that's what they say, Gokumon ? He says "Yakusoku no Chi" the promised land when he does it) has him in the air driving his sword to the ground with a big shockwave (you need to be clearly away up in the air to dodge the earthquake) for another hugely powerful move. He's a total beast.
Golbez and the Emperor are nice to fight against (the Emperor's Flare can be annoying, it's slow but it tracks you down for quite a long time, and he's usually setting traps around him to stop you from getting close), Exdeath can piss you off when he keeps teleporting (he teleports into you to ram you away) but that's balanced with how slow he is otherwise. Cloud of Darkness can magicspam pretty easily, it gets annoying. Jecht is pretty strong as an attacker that rushes at you, challenging and nice enough but nowhere near as much of a monster as Sephiroth.
so far, the biggest danger is Sephiroth, he's just beastly, hand down.

Storywise, the heroes have to gather the crystals and most of them take a moment to find a reason to fight. The villains all have a kick out of teasing them : a puppet without a purpose on its own, doing only what the others tell you to do, not doing anything for yourself, being a tool for others, having childish dream of world peace, not even knowing whatever the hell the crystals are supposed to do to begin with... Sometime they don't even all seem to hate each other (heroes with villains I mean). Even Sephiroth and Cloud almost seemed like their relationship was turning into a Vegeta-Goku thing at some point (Sephiroth shows up, says "what you're not attacking me ?" Cloud says "nah, no reason, I don't care" and starts walking off like "attacking you ? now why would I do that, it's a silly idea, really", Seph just goes "oh, okay") you'd have thought they were about to hug each other... Of course, until Sephiroth went "see this rose ? That was your friend's, Frionel's, wasn't it ? Now why do I have it in my hand, I wonder ? Have you seen your friends recently ?" Cloud immediately responds "did you hurt my friends ? Oooh, it's fucking on, bitch".
All in all, it's not really new so far (completed WoL, Frionel, Cecil, Cloud) but interesting when it comes to re-explaining the character's personnality and put down everything on the table about them (Cloud certainly is way better than the whiney loner image that got stuck on him and AC didn't help). They aren't innovative one bit, but at least they're varied and detailed, and they interact well : Cloud tries to figure out what to do of his life, he goes and defies Frionel to see how far his dream will take him, sees it does make him strong but he still can't find one of his own ; Tidus pushes Cecil into speaking to his brother once and for all then goes "ah, how nice to have a family you care for" ; Cosmos pushes Frionel and Cecil into getting their answer, asking Frionel to one day show her the world he would create and telling Cecil that helping others is exactly what he wants to do of himself (after Golbez told him "you're doing this stuff for others ? Wait, it's not for yourself ?"), etc. All in all, it's kinda cool enough, even if not really full of surprise - so far. Haven't gotten into the "Chaos side" yet, they all seem to know quite a bit about what's going on for real.

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 04:11:27 AM »

I think I finished Dissidia with everyone by now (Trip to San Diego with almost no internet connection+waiting at the airport, flight + vacations= tons of free time)
Chaos is a  cheap bastard.
Gabranth from FFXII is voiced by Akio Ohtsuka/Black Jack? Awesome, also, Chaos voiced by... Norio Wakamoto? Oh wow.
The only reason I'm starting to like Shantotto is... Megumi Hayashibara voice+Crazy and powerful magician interested in money... yep that's Lina.
Also short and flat.
Oh yeah, Terra voiced by Nono & Nia's VA, top notch VA's, then again, Square can afford them.

Now onto Fate... Some missions are hard, I didn't knew Archer had an awesome move during heat where you press three attack buttons again and you cancel projectile supers.
I guess Bazett has something similar? because I could swear one of her missions asks me to counter Lancer's Gae Bolg.

Nice games overall.

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2008, 05:30:31 AM »

I guess Bazett has something similar? because I could swear one of her missions asks me to counter Lancer's Gae Bolg.
Yes, her Fragarach is supposed to be a counter, story-wise. The regular version does low damage, and when using the counter version against a super, it gets more powerful.
Lancer's supers have one nifty event when you do it against him, it's story-related : he still hits you.

S.D.

• Counter!
  • Chô Aniki
  • Mega Brother
  • 大きい戦士愛パンケーキ
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2008, 06:04:27 AM »

Yeah I read something about twisting the Gae Bolg.

I found out the issue, Bazett has to claim the grail for the move to work, Archer doesn't.

CCI Le Byakko

• VIP
  • Ultra Brother
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 05:28:32 AM »

Chaos is a  cheap bastard.
Hmm. Well, he's at level 48 and at this point my Cloud is level 73 (how did I go there that fast I have no idea). He does have terribly cool moves that would be extremely cheap, but with the amount of damage I'm plastering on his face, it' not all tha- oh hey WOW WTF DID HE JUST REVIVE ON ME !? And *after* the victory white fadeout (but before the actual victory pose), even !
... Ah. So I have to kill him three times. Got surprised on the first attempt and punished while I wasn't looking, but third time was the charm. The screen fades in white just like when you win normally, then immediately afterward, Chaos's intro pose plays again as if the previous fight hadn't happened at all. And he does that twice. Makes it look like an infinite loop and you can never actually win. Until you beat him for the third time, that is.
Really cool videos. All the musics are really good too. The story is pretty basic and straightforward with just a twist or two, but we get to see everyone and have everything sorted out for each character. They're all damn good. Only Butz is the joke character and Kuja is a humongous cheap cheater. Interesting gameplay for a mix between a RPG and a fighting game, few problems here and there but it's quite experimental afterall.
Also air Brave attack -> Omnislash v.5 -> Omnislash combo is fun.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:19:41 AM by CCI Le Byakko »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25  All